Mineral Resources On-Line Spatial Data
National Geochemical Survey
NGS Database Documentation.
The primary NGS database has a relational structure, containing many component tables. For the purposes
of this online data release, the database has been restructured as a large flat file containing 77212 rows (samples)
and 284 columns (data fields). To facilitate downloading and distribution of these data, the data fields have been divided
into 15 categories, which may be viewed
in detail here. The major categories are:
These categories are used to select entire families of data fields for inclusion
in or exclusion from downloaded datasets.
Documentation for all 284 of the individual fields may be found here.
Particularly important parts of this documentation may also be referenced
- Categories containing sample attributes.
- Basic sample info: Critical data fields identifying the sample and dataset to which it belongs.
- Geographic information: Geographic coordinates and calculated geographic information.
- Sample attributes: Basic information about what a sample is and how it was collected.
- Sample attributes - detailed: Various secondary sample ID's and
secondary information about the sample.
- Site attributes: Basic data about the nature of the sample collection site.
- Site attributes - detailed: Secondary information about the sample collection site.
- Analytical details: Information about analysis-of-variance samples, secondary lab ID's, and processing notes.
- Categories containing analytical data.
- Analyses by ICP/Acid dissolution: Analytical data for ICP 40-element method.
- Analyses by ICP Partial Chem : Analytical data for ICP 10-element method.
- Analyses by Fusion ICP: Analytical data for ICP 16-element method.
- Analyses by AA: Analytical data for all atomic absorption methods
- Analyses by NAA: Analytical data for INAA and DN methods.
- Analyses by XRF: Analytical data for x-ray fluorescence method.
- Analyses for light elements: Analytical data for carbon and sulfur methods.
- Analyses by NURE program: Analytical data from the original NURE program.
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
This page is part of U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1001
Maintained by Jeff Grossman
Last modified: 09:05:08 Wed 14 Mar 2012
Privacy statement | General disclaimer | Accessibility